The newest Dovetail® de novo assembly workflow utilizes a unique combination of:
- PacBio HiFi sequencing for best-in-class base calling accuracy
- Dovetail® Omni-C® scaffolding for unprecedented SNP coverage and long-range information
Unlike traditional Hi-C approaches that digest chromatin with sequence-specific and biased restriction enzymes, Dovetail® Omni-C® technology utilizes DNaseI to randomly fragment chromatin. This generates unbiased coverage of the genome, with no blind spots, enabling SNP detection rates approaching those achieved with standard shot-gun libraries. As a result, assemblies produced from this data display extremely long haplotype blocks when phased, up to full chromosome-length.
What is the benefit of a chromosome-scale reference genome with phased SNPs? While haploid reference genomes have proven highly informative, they do not tell the full story. Having access to SNP phasing information at chromosome scale opens up new opportunities to better understand:
- distribution of heterozygosity
- allele-specific epigenetic events
- cis versus trans mutations
- and more.